Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Check out what is happening in our classroom...

Reading Workshop:

The students have been busy practicing making Level Two connections.  We are practicing how to make text-to-self and text-to-text Connections.  The children have been exposed to these types of connections before.  This year we are making our connections better by bringing them "Back to the Book." 

We are exposing the children to specific language to help them generate their connections.  The connection sentence starter is, "This reminds me of..." and "Just like...."

Ex- "This reminds me of when my sister put peas up her nose.  Just like when the boy in Counting Frank pushed the peas off the dinner table."

We have been using this language to make both text-to-self and text-to-text connections.

We have also been using our Reading Binder to facilitate Reading Workshop.  Our reading binder is set up with a few different sections- Reading Log, Independent Reading Task, Handouts, Vocabulary and Shared Reading.  This binder is a great tool to keep the children organized and prepared to learn. 



Writing Workshop:
 
The children have been working on taking their first writing piece through the writing process.  We generated ideas, drafted and are currently working on revising.  We are making our leads better by using dialogue, question, setting, etc.  The children are all really great writers!  We are so excited to see their first published piece!

 
 Math:
 
The Montonelli Mathematicians are becoming experts with their addition facts.  We have been learning addition patterns, properties of addition and how to use the hundreds chart to add.  Mr. P introduced and practiced partial sums with the class.  This is just another addition strategy.  The children are having fun practicing these concepts in math stations!  The children are also doing a great job on the challenges on the back of the homework sheets.  We are  impressed!  Keep up the great work!
 
 
 
*Please feel free to post a comment.  We are excited to hear your thoughts and appreciate your feedback!  Thank you for all of your support at home!*


8 comments:

  1. Dear Team Montonelli,

    WOW!! What an amazing blog - I LOVE IT and I am so proud of you for all of your hard work! I really love reading about all the exciting things that you are learning and doing in your classroom. I especially love our new Boy Band - B2B (our own little secret) - where you are learning to construct Level 2 post-its when making connections while reading - BRAVO! I also cannot wait to read your published writing pieces from Writer's Workshop!

    Thank you for working so hard - cant wait to check out your next post!

    Sincerely,
    Mr. Sinanis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I love the use of connections as a reading comprehension tool - it truly fosters a deeper understanding of the text. I am also impressed with the level of math they are mastering - building a solid foundation for future concepts. And I cannot wait to read the published writing piece - I know it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This message looks awesome! The kids are working really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed that you learned and made your very own weblog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sand building club at recess. It is really fun!!!
    I like to play with other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how people are cooperating to make the vault; we keep so many pine cones in the vault. I am really impressed how people are helping each other in the sand building club.



    ReplyDelete
  7. Dylan M.
    I was a little nervous because I was new. But after a few weeks,I realized that there are a lot of nice kids and it is the best school ever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. School is turning out great! I'm so excited to start going on the kids blog website and start learning to do stuff on the internet. The Montonelli's are the best teachers ever!

    ReplyDelete